Tuesday, August 2, 2011

For my supporters

First of all, I'm so sorry I am just now following up with this trip.  It's always so hard for me to get back to the states and recoop after Ukraine.  The reverse culture shock this time was particularly difficult for me.  You would not believe how easy one gets 'sucked in' to another culture when one is flinging themselves headlong into it.

I cannot even begin to express how thankful I am for you.  If you had not generously given to me in faith, this trip and this segment of my journey with God would not have been possible.  Here in the states, I'm considered way below the poverty line.  So, going out to dinner is a big deal; let alone, leaving the country and staying there for two weeks.  I squeal with excitement every time I get a support check and most of you were so encouraging with your support.  It means so much.


This photo is of Alina and I.  I am painting her face for rec; a time of day we play outdoor games on a big field.  It is so fun.  Chaotic, but fun :)  Alina is a wonderful girl with a big heart.  She often gets made fun of by her peers, but she always shows others love and takes part in discussion more than the other kids.

I learned so much more about the kids this trip.  I kind of go through some of this in my last post on this blog, so I don't want to be repetitive.  But, needless to say, their lives are very, very difficult and complicated.  Most of these kids have been abandoned, many have been abused, and many have that look in their eyes.  You know the look.  Apathetic, but anxious; untrusting, but hopeful; dull; yet glimmering with a little light.  It seems that every time we visit them, they become just a little more trusting.  They have more energy and offer more affection. They are willing to speak about Jesus in front of their peers; this is HUGE.  So, although there are so many super hard things to digest about their lives and culture, this fact gives us hope.  

This is Tonya and I.  She is a rather tomboyish, kind of wild, but very sweet girl.  She got into some trouble on our last day at camp; therefore, she was forbidden to see us off, but she snuck off anyway and plowed through the entire crowd of people and everyone on our bus to tell me goodbye.  I was waving out the bus window to other kids and I hear "Lori" in a Russian voice.  I turned around to find her with open arms.  I love her so much and pray that she doesn't get involved in terrible things when she goes to trade school this fall.

Valya, me, and Katya.  Valya's mother tried to sell her for her organs when she was very little, so she ran away.  
Dasha and Alina.  I will be partnering with an organization to sponsor them this fall.  Please pray for them and all of our graduates.  Their plight becomes quite shaky from here on out.  

I could go on and on.  I'm sure in future posts, I'll be sharing more photos.  This is where my mind wanders when I'm not focusing and often when I am focusing.  My heart breaks for them.  But, God promises to be the Father of the fatherless.  He loves these kids more perfectly than I ever could and He will do as He sees fit!  Please continue to pray for this ministry as it is far from over.  Please also pray for the country of Ukraine and its many flaws so different from the flaws of our country.  

I thank all of you once again for your support and prayer.  May God continue to bless you and to show you His faithfulness in every season of life.


"This service that you perform is not only supplying the needs of God's people but is also overflowing in many expressions of thanks to God."  ~2 Corinthians 9:12

"I thank my God every time I remember you."  ~Philippians 1:3







No comments:

Post a Comment